9 Reasons A Senior Portrait Can Help You With Adulting
Sep 6, 2020 | By: Shaun Stockton
“Adulting,” the trendy term used to describe adulthood. It's something every senior is going to start thinking about this year. Most likely because of the uncertainty of adulthood and the fear of growing up. But if you haven’t thought about planning a photoshoot, you should definitely consider it because of all the adulting benefits.
1. Become More Self-Confident A lot of the time how we look is the biggest determiner for how confident we feel. Sometimes taking pictures can even be more about hiding things we're insecure about than about celebrating our differences. But, taking professional photographs can help you realize that you look good at any angle.
2. Help To Let Go of Insecurities Part of being more self-confident is to overcome things that we feel self-confident about. Things that make us feel less. They're usually superficial things based solely on our appearance. But being able to see how beautiful, unique and confident you look in a professional photograph can help you take the first steps to overcoming those nagging insecurities.
3. Redefine Yourself Your style, dress code, and in some cases even your personality could've been defined by high school. Even though it's not something you're aware of, just knowing that other people are sometimes judging is reason enough to determine how you look and act. It could've been a coping mechanism or a way for you to find a clique and group of people similar to yourself. But with your adulthood approaching, you can now let go of those high school labels, and there's no better way to do this than through a photoshoot that highlights your blooming personality.
4. Have The Ultimate Glow-Up Glowing-up is probably trendier than adulting. You could wait for your glow-up, or you could do what every other influencer and content creator does, and force a glow-up! All in the name of getting the best senior pictures of course! Now that you have an excuse to get your hair, nails, and makeup done you can finally have the glow-up you've been dreaming about.
5. See Yourself Through Someone Else's Eyes There's something about how we see ourselves that's always 10x worse than the perception others have of us. Does that make sense? While you may be obsessing about the size of your ears or a mole on your neck, most people won't even notice it. Because a professional photographer doesn't know you and is taking the photographs from their perspective it can be the best way to see yourself through someone else.
6. Get A Brandable Professional Portrait It's the decisions you make now that are going to impact you well into the future. For that reason, you may want to consider getting some professionally styled photographs as these can help you with your career later on. They could help you land coveted internships and if getting a head start in your career is something you've always been interested in, there's no better way to do it than to start cultivating your professional brand in your senior year. Headshots can prove invaluable in so many ways (LinkedIn, College ID, Facebook, Instagram, College Resumé, etc.)
7. Explore Your Creativity We always think of creativity as something beyond ourselves, but sometimes we are the canvas. And in many instances, we can be the best canvases for our own creativity. Really, there's no better form of self-expression than expressing yourself … through yourself. I am sure that you get the idea!
Organizing and researching ideas for your photo shoot can help you get an idea of how you want to be portrayed in your pictures and what message you want to convey. The best part about photography is that it doesn't have to be literal, it can also be abstract. Do you and enjoy the results.
8. Capture Your First Year As An Adult Maybe it's just me, but having keepsake and memory capsules is always in style - the nostalgia alone is enough reason to create them. But, it can also act as a personal documentary – detailing your journey through adulthood: from graduating high school to getting into college, from completing college to getting your first "real job," from living with your family to getting your first apartment. Doing a senior year photo shoot can be the easiest way to get started on your documentary.
9. Get Apartment/Dorm Decor If you're going to be moving out soon – your dorm room is going to pretty bare. As every adult knows, you can't have childish decor. So, instead of filling your dorm with posters, you can place these beautiful pictures (in grown-up frames) on your desk or bedside table. Not only is it great decor, but it's also a great morning pick-me-up.